Sunday, February 6, 2022

The Yearly Slump - Joy Spinning

 This time of year is always difficult for me, the joy of the holidays is over and Minnesota winters are still dark. The subzero (F) temps arrive with the new year and while I LOVE living in a place with four seasons and appreciate the beauty of winter this is the time of the year when I struggle with the lack of light, the cold, the long wait for spring. This is the time of year when I have a hard time feeling creative and where spinning and mindless knitting are the projects I gravitate towards. 

I always have long term spinning projects going on and currently I am spinning 7 lbs of Corriedale x Romney roving into three ply knitting yarn. I am about halfway through and it's a great, mindless enjoyable spin but is not bringing my any joy when I sit down to it. To brighten my spinning time I have instead been focusing on things which bring a smile to my face when I start spinning. One project is a set of Batts I carded after returning from SOAR21, inspired by the 'Spinner's Palette' class I took with Maggie Casey. I was particularly enamored with the heathered batts I learned to card and  once home I combined much of my 'bits and pieces' bag of small bits of fleece, top, and roving on my drumcarder and carded them into a complex heathered blend. I added hemp to half the batts and left the other just wool and recently pulled out the all wool batts to spin during a weekly zoom happy hour I have with friends. I am spinning it longdraw on spindles to maximize the pleasure and am SO enjoying it. It is just default spinning, but the smoothly carded batts flow through my fingers almost effortlessly and the complex colors are satisfying to watch. I do not have the photography skills to capture the blend of colors, everything is looking very washed out in these photos. 






The other spinning project I am working on is spinning some Montadale fleece I carded into rolags on hand cards and which I am spinning on my antique Norwegian broken table slanty wheel.  Carding the soft fleece lets me spend time appreciating the fiber, and rolling up the rolags on the carder brings a satisfying sense of accomplishment, as does watching the rolags pile up. Spinning on this particular wheel is still a novelty for me, I have only had it since July, and I am still getting to know this sometimes temperamental, but beautiful survivor. I have found that it is well suited to spinning a fine thread and I enjoy seeing the yarn build up on the small beautifully turned bobbins. Spinning a fine yarn from soft fleece is a sensory joy added to by the rattle of the flyer and bobbin and the slight noise from the treadle. 



I have no end use planned for either of these yarns and instead am just taking comfort and joy from the process of turning fiber into yarn and seeing order come out of chaos. The sense of making and creating when I see so much destruction happen around the world is a comfort. Do you have anything you are working on just for the Joy of it?


4 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm just slowly working my way through a pile (maybe 3.5 pounds?) of greeny-gray and greeny-blue BFL. I have a vague idea of weaving something that looks like lichen with it some day, but if that doesn't happen, that's fine. And boy, do I hear you on the dreariness of February in a northern climate.

Anonymous said...

Oh, when life is rough then my spinning always goes from purposeful to simply supportive. When I need a lift from spinning, it's just about the process and the endorphins I get from playing with and handling the wool. The yarn the is just a side effect from spinning's antidepressant and centering function, and that's okay. There are seasons for end product and project spinning and seasons for pure process spinning. Aren't we lucky that the wool really doesn't mind?!

Meg C in Mass said...

Talk about "late to the party", I'm chiming in 9 months after this blog post. For me, comfort spinning in winter always means prepping fleece by hand, and it seems that handling the raw, then washed, fleece is the start of the comforting part. The project on the wheel right now is a black Dorset lamb fleece. This fleece comes from the UMass/Amherst Dorset flock. The manager/shepherd got permission to keep the black ewe lamb to offer to handspinners we have responded. I grabbed up this lamb fleece on shearing day in 2021 and this year a spinner drove up from CT to get the same ewe's fleece, now slightly grayed. The yarn is fluffy, bouncy, crisp, and lightweight. I'm going to three-ply it and spin some white Dorset for a contrast color, then blend some of this black with some of the white for two shades of grey. I'll swatch to see how it presents cables, but I expect the dark color will hide them, so perhaps a simple saddle-shoulder, placket-neck sweater with white and grey stripes in the bottom ribbing, cuffs, and collar will be best. We'll see. It should be ready to enter in the hand-made garment division at the Mass Sheep and Woolcraft Fair in the village of Cummington, MA next May. That will get me through Jan and Feb easily.

Thank you for this blog. I always enjoy reading it and taking inspiration. Keep writing, please, Devin, I love your articles.

MeejumArts said...

Just read your piece in SpinOff. Tips about socks and purl bumps—I purl the soles and then the bumps are in the outside, not against my foot.