Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spinning!

I have been challanging myself recently and having a lot of fun  spinning new Fibers and new techniques. First of all, here is the results from the spinning challange I wrote about. I have 8 ounces of cabled four ply in BRIGHT BRIGHT yellow. I love the yarn, though the cable plying needs some work.


Then I had a wonderful gift through the mail, from a Ravelry friend.
COTTON!!!! Takli!!!!!!
Thank you so much, Pat!!!


Also in the the photo is an Andina small spindle from Stringtopia and a copy of a book Textile Traditions of Chinchero: A Living Heritage-also from Stringtopia.  I have been having fun working on a low whorl spindle again. I have been having even more fun finding out that I can spin cotton, since the last time I tried it was not a good experience. I LOVE spinning cotton and really really really want a Charkha to spin some more cotton. 

One last thing, I have been pondering over how people all over the world in all sorts of cultures make things and develop techniques and I can't get over that hands are hands all over the world. It has been repeating through my mind recently. I learned to knit socks from my great aunt-she spoke only German and I spoke only English and yet I learned from her hands, she showed me and at times grabbed my hands directly and it is only now that I am realizing what a powerful tool and repository of knowledge hands can be. 

No comments: